Sunday, April 27, 2014

Beans

I have to admit, I don't know beans about beans...or at least very little about cooking them.  But the other day I decided that the ham bone that was in the fridge, an Easter leftover, would make a really good foundation for a pot of beans.  

So I dove in (figuratively, that is) and wound up with pot of fairly tasty bean soup.  Not bad, if I do say so myself--even if my orginal intent was just beans, not soup.

Neuroscientists tells us that we human beings are only aware of a very small fraction of what our brains are actually doing.  And that's more than just keeping our hearts pumping and our lungs breathing without our consciously thinking about it, too.  Our brains are processing data at lightning speeds that put computers to shame--gathering in all kinds of information of which we're never even aware, and then setting up our conscious minds to make what we then believe are autonomous decisions.  It's like having an army of dutiful soldiers and secretaries in our heads, taking care of business while we go merrily on our way thinking we've got everything under our control.  Yeah, right.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many things in this life about which I know beans.  I don't even know what's going on in my own brain most of the time.  But even so, if I start out with a good foundation and stir in a little variety, the results--while maybe not always exactly what I plan--are usually pretty nourishing and sometimes even delicious.

But then, maybe that was the plan all along.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled."

If you appreciate what you're reading here, please feel free to share it around.  You can read previous posts at www.realacorns.blogspot.com.  Thanks for reading!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment