Saturday, November 7, 2015

How Refreshing

I was nearing the end of a strenuous jog when the light at the end of a freeway off ramp provided me an opportunity to catch my breath--and there I found myself standing next to a man.  To be honest, if I'd been in my car this would've been someone I'd have avoided by looking the other way or rolling up my window and shaking my head. 

He was holding some kind of a sign and was asking stopped motorists for money. 

But the funny thing is, since I wasn't in my car and had no cash to share, I found myself saying hello and asking him how things were going.  After a short conversation, during which he shared a broad smile, the light turned green and I got my sweaty self moving again.

And as I jogged away, I heard him call out to me: "Drink plenty of water!"

Now I'm wondering how many kindly interractions I've missed out of fear.  How many opportunities to acknowledge someone's humanity have I lost out on because I was feeling guilty or stingy or self-righteous?  How many times have I denied a fellow traveler the opportunity to treat ME with dignity and respect because of my assumptions? 

All of which leaves me feeling pretty darn thirsty.

So glad if you enjoy reading...and please feel free to share.  Subscribe via blogspot.  Please ask if you would like to reprint...thanks!

(c) Stephen Fiechter

No comments:

Post a Comment