Friday, September 19, 2014

Where is that Control?

I looked for it everywhere...in the drawer near the TV, in the cushions, underneath the couch.  Did I take it with me to the bathroom?  Did the cats find a way to drag it off?

I've searched for it everywhere, and still haven't found that control.

Glasses?  Got 'em.  Car keys?  Right where I left them.  Wallet, check.  TV remote, check...

No control.

I've been looking for a long time now, too--ever since I can remember.  Back in school I looked for it when kids would get mean and say terrible things; I looked for the control to make them stop, to make them take it all back.  At home I tried to find the control so I could make my dad stop getting so angry.  I looked in the mirror to see if the control was there to make me feel less awkward, less afraid.  I tried to find the control so that I would be more athletic, thinner.  I needed the control so that my hair would be less frizzy and would look more like the cool kids' hair.   I searched for the control that would make me like sports more and cooking less.  And I searched everywhere for the control so that I would be attracted to girls instead of boys.

I never found it.

I have found one thing, though, in my search for that control.  I've found that life is so much better when I stop looking for it.

And now I wonder, sometimes, if maybe the world wouldn't be a better place if we'd all stop looking, and just start loving.

I once was lost but now am found.

So glad if you enjoy reading...please feel free to share.  Subscribe and check out previous posts at www.realacorns.blogspot.com.  

(c) 2014, Stephen Fiechter


No comments:

Post a Comment