Monday, May 26, 2014

I Remember

The sign has been replaced, the bank and curb repaired--but you can still see the damage on the tree at the place where she'd driven off the road and lost her life.  

I stopped at the spot today to remember.  It had been so quiet that morning as I went out for my run, the sound I heard so different from the "crash" you hear in the movies.  But I knew something was amiss and ran toward the spot.  I was the first on the scene, and completely ill-equipped to do anything other than signal to others to call for help.  We'd all learn soon enough that it was too late anyway.

Who was she?  What was her life like?  Did she have a family?  What were her hopes and dreams?  Where was she headed that day?  Who grieved for her?  

On this Memorial Weekend we pause to remember those who gave themselves in service, most of whom we've never met.  With hopes and dreams they went off to fight someone else's battles. And whether, like me, you despise the act of war or not, you cannot help but admire their bravery and give thanks for their sacrifice.  They had names and dreams.  They had families and friends who grieved for them, and maybe still do.  They had hopes that were ended so that we can still hope today.  

For these we are thankful.  For these we all grieve.

These we remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment