Sunday, May 11, 2014

Everywhere

I don't remember where it came from or exactly how it looked, but I do remember what the little plaque on the wall of my grandmother's front porch said:

"God couldn't be everywhere, and so invented mothers."

Happy Mother's Day to all!  I hope this Mother's Day has been a terrific day of celebration and remembering, of thanksgiving and hope.

Now back to that little plaque for a minute--because I have to admit that I never really liked it much.  In fact, it bothered me--a LOT.  Maybe because it seemed so trite.  Maybe it bothered me because I knew that there were plenty of folks who didn't have mothers to care for them...or anyone to care for them, for that matter.  Maybe it was a little of all of that...but mostly it bothered me because I didn't believe it was true.

That's not to say that I didn't think my mom was wonderful.  I still think she's wonderful.  In fact, it's precisely because my mom is such a blessing that I didn't believe that plaque....because if I learned anything from my mom--from her patience and love and care--it was that God indeed COULD be everywhere...God IS everywhere.

And sometimes God is present through the caring hearts of those we call "mother."  And always, God is present through the actions of those who love and care for others.

Maybe even through you.

Share the good news....offer a listening ear, a helping hand, a caring heart!  

(And please feel free to share this message...connect your friends directly to the blog:  www.realacorns.blogspot.com.  Subscribe there so that you'll receive future postings in your own inbox!)

And have an amazing week!


No comments:

Post a Comment