Saturday, February 1, 2014

Bless You!

With cold and flu season upon us, chances are you're hearing the words with some frequency:

"Bless you!"

Some say that the practice of offering a blessing when someone sneezes is rooted in an ancient belief that a sneeze was the body's way of expelling evil spirits that were trying to work their way inside.  The blessing was offered as a prayer that those demons would be gone for good.  In a way they had it right, though these days we're more likely to call them "germs" rather than "demons."

Same difference.

It's all said rather casually, though, and that's what gets me wondering.  If we were to stop and think about what we were saying--if we were a bit more deliberate in not just spouting off but actually delivering on our hope and promise--the world might a better place.

So the next time I find myself saying it, I'm going to stop and think about it too.  How can I put my own words into action, and be a source of healing?  I've a hunch, in doing so, some of my own demons might just be gone too.

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."





No comments:

Post a Comment