Saturday, November 26, 2016

Cold Hands, Flat Tire

It dawned on me, in the dawning light, that I'd left for my bike ride ill-prepared for the morning chill.  Not that a 50-degree morning is anything but "bitterly cool," still it makes for some uncomfortable riding, especially without gloves.  For a moment I thought of turning back, but my early-morning brain said otherwise, "Go on, you'll survive without them." And so I did.

About half-way up the hill on which my sites were set I noticed another all-too-familiar feeling: a flat tire.  Ugh!  There's something about getting a flat tire that forces a new perspective.  Suddenly there is no choice in life: stop and fix it.  In this case, no big deal--it was less than 15 minutes and I was on my way again (reminder to self: replace that spare). 

When I made it to the top of the hill I remembered.

See, I'd forgotten all about my cold hands.  The redirect of a more urgent problem took my attention away from the potential of discomfort.  And my hands weren't cold at all, just a little greasy from the tire change.

As I flew down the hill it occurred to me--how very much of my life I spend worrying about things that will never happen, making contingency plans for troubles that will never come to pass, and hardly ever noticing how little control I have or the glorious view I'm missing while I'm wringing my greasy hands over nothing.

"Consider the lilies.  They neither toil nor do they sow, yet..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment