Thursday, March 24, 2016

Everything

I had a bagel "with everything" this morning.  Toasted.  With cream cheese.

Turns out it wasn't everything, though, which left me wondering.  What would a bagel "with everything" actually look like?  Physically impossible, or course, and beyond imagination.  Like life.  You can't have it all, can you?

But I ordered a life "with everything," you see.  That's what I wanted!  I asked for a life of joy, of happiness, of perfection, with all of the sides...EVERYTHING...that goes along with it.  Apparently they screwed up my order. 

How is yours?

I mean, seriously, when I said "everything" what I MEANT was all the good stuff: not the torn ligament, the dripping faucet, the dead flowers.  Not the unjust system, the ranting politician, the suicide bomber, the endless war.  Not the sick child, the homeless family, the broken heart. 

But I did say "everything," didn't I?

Maybe I'm getting exactly what I ordered after all. 

And that's life.  Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment