Friday, January 15, 2016

Ready? Swing!

The other day my body reminded me of the truth of the phrase, I'm not as young as I used to be: not a big deal, but painful enough that I got the message.

Along with that reminder came the fear that, one day, I may lose the ability to participate in life the way I've enjoyed for so long.  It was that nagging fear, more than the sharp pain in my knee, that stung the most. 

Oh, it wasn't really a fear--not at first--just a thought.  But then it grew and grew, buzzing around in my head like an annoying fly stuck inside, trying to fly through a closed kitchen window.  Pretty soon I was swatting at it almost constantly, to the point where it had my full attention. 

Then I noticed something.  When I talked about it, the fear went away.  When I heard my own words, when I spoke my fear, it was as if the window opened and that annoying fly flew.

Thoughts buzz around in our heads all the time.  They bounce off the walls of our brains like flies trying to get to the light through a closed kitchen window.  Voicing our fears--talking about them--is opening that window.  It releases our fears into the community, where those who care are waiting and listening--

And holding a giant fly-swatter.

What are you afraid of today?  Is there someone who will listen?  Or is today your day to swat?

"There is no fear in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment