Monday, April 27, 2015

Funny You Should Ask

Even twenty-six years after her death, it's safe to say that Lucille Ball is still one of the most beloved personalities of all time.  Her groundbreaking work in television set the stage for much of what the world today considers to be funny.  And yet, when asked about what made her so funny, here's what that great comedian, actress and business woman told a reporter for Rolling Stone

"I am not funny.  My writers were funny.  My directors were funny.  The situations were funny....what I am is brave.  I have never been scared.  Not when I did movies, certainly not when I was a model, and not when I did "I Love Lucy."

Brave, indeed.  As it turns out Lucy had at least one of the great qualities of leadership: the ability to give credit where credit is due.  It is no small act of bravery to look around at one's life--at the successes that define us--and publicly recognize the reality that we have only succeeded with the help of others.  It's easy to blame others for our failures.  Naming those who helped bring about our success takes guts.

The truly brave among us live in the reality that the only thing "self-made" about us is the trap we fall into when we believe that we made it on our own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment