Tuesday, March 3, 2015

J'accuse!

As I grow a bit longer in the tooth I'm noticing something:  my memory isn't what it used to be.

It's typical, from what I hear.  As time passes, the human brain collects more and more information and so it takes a bit longer to sort through and process all of the data--sometimes things even get lost.

One thing it seems I haven't lost is my ability to swiftly accuse others.

It's only a pair of scissors, frequently used but ALWAYS returned to the same spot.  This time, as I reached for them, they weren't there. 

"Where did you put my scissors?"

The question flew out of my mouth without a moment's hesitation.  I knew beyond any doubt that I ALWAYS put those scissors back in the same place, and now they weren't there.  What other explanation could there be?  Someone else took them.

I must admit, even I was astonished at the speed of my accusation.  I just KNEW, and so I got to stew.  I was annoyed.  I needed my scissors.  I wanted my scissors...and I wanted them to be where I KNEW they should be!  Why would he take them and not put them back?  Where could he have left them?  Why did he need MY special scissors, anyway?

After a somewhat awkward confrontation, a denial of guilt, and a new search, I found the scissors--right where I'd left them.

I'm happy to report that my apology has been accepted.  Now I'm just wondering what other accusations, great and small, I've cast on others while I should have been pointing that finger at the mirror.

(c) Fiechter

Thanks for reading...feel free to share!  Read previous posts or subscribe to get these in your email inbox at www.realacorns.blogspot.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment