Friday, June 19, 2009

Just a rubber band?


Some stories are about big things: big events, big celebrations, big deals.

This story is about something small--some might say "inconsequential." It's about a rubber band.

The other day I was doing some cleaning and organizing around the house and there was a fist full of pens that I wanted to put into a drawer. I looked for a rubber band to hold them together and couldn't find a single one anywhere.

Not long after I went out for an afternoon jog and as I ran through an intersection I spied a single rubber band in the street. I stopped to pick it up, finished my jog and when I got home I had the perfect tie for that little bundle of pens.

It made me happy. I picked up a rubber band that was otherwise littering the environment, gained a useful tool that I didn't have earlier and avoided going to the store to buy an entire bag of rubber bands that would likely sit around and never be used.

Like I said, a story about something small. But in the end, it's the small stuff that adds up to the big stuff...each action, each circumstance meaningful and important, and all part of the process of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment