Monday, March 2, 2009

Parents

I've spent a great deal of time and energy over the years dealing with my father--his emotional volatility, his difficulty in expressing love, his insistence on perfection from everyone but himself.

This morning I had a moment of grace as I realized how very much alike he and I are, and I wondered how difficult it must have been for him in those times of self-realization, when he understood the effects of his being, particularly on those whom he loved, and felt powerless to do anything about it.

I am not my father. I am my own self. And yet there is much to be learned from walking a mile in the shoes of others. I want to grow and become a better person with each new day, to transcend the physical limitations of this world and embrace that which is beyond my imagination. Maybe my father can show me how after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment